During the 2008 Presidential campaign Barack Obama told audiences:
'Judge me by the people with whom I surround myself.'
Van Jones – Green Jobs Czar (resigned on Sept. 6, 2009)
Highlights of Van Jones' career
- Became a Communist in the aftermath of the 1992 "Rodney King riots" in Los Angeles
- Founded the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights in 1996 which, claiming that the American criminal-justice system was infested with racism, sought to promote alternatives to incarceration.
- In late 1990s he became a leading member of Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement (STORM) who immediately after 9/11 had denounced the United States for having brought the disaster on itself.
- In October 2004 he joined a host of others in signing the 9/11 Truth Statement (signature #46), which called for a federal investigation into whether President Bush had been privy to advance knowledge of – or perhaps had colluded in – the destruction of the World Trade Center.
- Was, with STORM, active in the anti-Iraq War demonstrations organized by International ANSWER, a front group for the Marxist-Leninist Workers World Party.
- STORM also had ties to the South African Communist Party and it revered Amilcar Cabral, the late Marxist revolutionary leader (of Guinea-Bissau and the Cape Verde Islands) who lauded Lenin as "the greatest champion of the national liberation of the peoples."
- In 2006 Van Jones would name his own newborn son "Cabral" — in Amilcar Cabral’s honor.
- In a January 2008 speech, Jones said: "The white polluters and the white environmentalists are essentially steering poison into the people-of-color communities because they don’t have a racial justice framework."
- Co-founded Color of Change (COC), an organization that views the United States as a profoundly racist country, and whose mission is "to make government more responsive to the concerns of Black Americans and to bring about positive political and social change for everyone."
- In March 2009, President Barack Obama named Jones to be his so-called "Green Jobs Czar." He has been carefully vetted by Obama's administration.
Learn more about Van Jones.
Although carefully vetted and specifically chosen and appointed, President Obama does not endorse Jones's past statements and actions.